Girl Scouts Offer ‘Locavore’ Badges
Once upon a time long, long ago, I was a girl scout. Truth be told, I was a very enthusiastic girl scout–except for the selling cookie part which I never could stand–who had badges down and up both sides of my sash. My mother would have said this was just me being an overachiever, but I like to think I was also interested in mastering some of the things you had to learn to earn each of the badges.
So I was excited to see that scouts can now earn “Locavore” badges, which I definitely would have been all over had they been offered in my day.
So, how does a scout earn a locavore badge? Here’s are the guidelines:
- Explore the benefits and challenges of going local
- Find your local food sources.
- Cook a simple dish showcasing local ingredients.
- Make a recipe with local ingredients.
- Try a local cooking challenge